Monday, January 25, 2010

Thoughts About Technology


I graduated from Syracuse University -- when, I won't say, but let's just add that my learning tools were all amassed in the darkroom, which brings me to my point of this post.  I subscribe to the Syracuse University Alum magazine and came across an article about the changes that technology has brought about in the realm of photography.  Basically it said learning photography in a digital lab is a completely different process than learning in a dark room.  Ok, duh, right?  But I wonder how many new photographers even know how to use an enlarger, or have even set foot in a darkroom?  Don't get me wrong; shooting in digital is quite efficient, especially for the fast paced setting of a wedding.  But knowing the basics will give a newer photographer a greater appreciation of how photography began as an unequivocal hands on experience.  I, personally, have a love for the darkroom that exists even now that I have made the transition into the world of digital photography.  There's no replacement for the theraputic nature of spending hours and hours in the darkroom watching your prints come to life right before your eyes.  Whether or not you choose to shoot film or digital, it's just important to know, as a photographer, where photography began, and how the original techniques translate into the current, more technologically advanced methods.


This image, shot with film, is one of my favorites of my sister and my neice.  And this little baby is almost fourteen now!  And taller than me!  Yikes!




Here she is now:





And here with her sister, my beautiful neices Nina and Madison.....modelicious, right? :





By the way, these last two pics were shot in digital, so I am an equal opportunity photographer : )



1 comment:

  1. Lisa, I agree with what your saying about how advancements in technology have masked how things were before the "digital" age took over. I feel the same way about how some art is made today. Kids nowadays are immersed in computers and mostly are not aware of the way things were before, therefore lacking the appreciation and or fundamental know-how of say, a camera or any other tool that's been advanced by technology.

    Cheers,
    Cousin Nick

    ReplyDelete

Hey! Leave a comment! We would love to hear from you!