Thursday, October 14, 2010

Waterfire Providence

Waterfire is this great Rhode Island event that occurs during the spring, summer and early fall months in downtown Providence. You can read more about it here.  Waterfire Providence began about 15 years ago, and since its inception, I have wanted to photograph it.  Did some research, had my spot all picked out, and finally, finally made it there on the last waterfire night of the 2010 season.  Finally.  Let me preface this by saying I had my "spot" picked out, oh, say six, seven, maybe eight years ago, and just never "got around to it".  Well, downtown has changed since then, and by changed I mean, there are a lot more high rises, hotels and just buildings in general in the city now than there was seven years ago.  So to my dismay, my spot was not necessarily the vision I had anticipated once I got there.  For instance, there was this big, huge, gi-normous high rise condo building obstructing the once clear view of the skyline to the left.  Sigh.  But I did manage to find another reasonable spot from up above, and I think it came out pretty nice.  Hey, at least I can check it off the list and move on, right?  But a note to others: if there's something you really, really want to do, don't put it off for too long.  You might not have the same opportunity again.


Isn't it all glowy and pur-ty?  Makes Providence look really beautiful.


Ok, so here's the spot I had originally picked out (sorta).  So see that big ol' building to the left?  Yep, wasn't there before.  Oh, and also the bridge in the middle of the image wasn't there before either.  You could see all the way down the river from this point before.  But it's all good.  I've had some counselling and I've come to terms with it now ;)


'Til next year......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey! Leave a comment! We would love to hear from you!